Sunday, January 16, 2011

Teef

Several days ago I noticed that one of my incisors was super sharp. It kept poking my lip and it felt much pointier than usual. As I thought about this, I began to wonder if my incisor had shifted. I looked in the mirror and sure enough, it was jutting out. I've always had one crook in my lower set of teeth, but when I looked in the mirror, I saw two; I freaked out.

A roommate of mine told her boyfriend about it (who happens to be a third-year dental student at UCLA; how convenient) who gave me a free private consultation in the convenience of my room. Of course he couldn't tell if it really had shifted (he's never previously examined my teeth), but he did tell me that the lower teeth are most susceptible to shifting, especially as one ages. He also said it was unlikely, but possible, that my teeth were shifting, especially given the fact that I've never had any corrective straightening done to my teeth (i.e. braces, retainers, invisalign). So I rethought it over and told myself I was probably just being paranoid. I thought that perhaps, I'd always had the double crook and just never really realized it. I'm a bit susceptible to paranoia, so it wouldn't have surprised me in the slightest, if it had all turned out to be psychosomatic.

Two days later, with shifting incisors still vaguely on my mind, I tried to whistle a favorite tune of mine. Those of you who know me, know that I'm a fine whistler. It's one of the few things I'll readily admit that I'm good at (or maybe I'm just not very good at many things..). But anyways, the whistle came out funny. Boom. Sheer indicator that I was not experiencing paranoia. My tooth really had shifted.

As if I needed further proof, I woke up this morning with a soreness in that area of my mouth. Using the scientific method, I have reached the conclusion that my teeth are shifting. And to top it all off, I am without dental insurance.

No comments: