Thursday, February 3, 2011

Milk

Anyone who spends a lot of time with me knows that I love to drink milk. I love that it's cheap, it's filling, it's chock full of protein and other wonderful nutrients, and it's oh-so satisfying. I typically drink about a gallon of milk a week. And I've never, NEVER had issues with not being able to digest it.

About 3 weeks ago, I noticed that I was super bloated. This might be TMI, but I quite literally felt like I was so full of gas that I would fly away. I thought it was just a random upset stomach, something resulting from some concoction of things I'd eaten. Sure enough, I started to notice that every time I would drink a cup of milk, I'd get that recurring balloon-like feeling. I've diagnosed myself as being lactose-intolerant. I've also made the bold switch to Lactaid, milk with lactase (a natural enzyme that breaks down lactose) in it. I tried it for my first time yesterday and was quite disappointed by the taste. I guess I'll just have to get used to it.

Goodbye normal milk; you've been so good to me. I will definitely miss you.